“Athchomar chomakea, friends! …. What’s that? No habla Dothraki? Ok… here are some quick facts about the Dothraki language.
- The Dothraki language was initially constructed by George RR Martin in his “A Song of Ice and Fire” series.
- It was later further developed for the “Game of Thrones” TV Series by language creator David Peterson.
- Peterson was chosen to construct the Dothraki language after winning an internal contest in the “Language Creation Society” organization.
- “TV Dothraki” consists of more than 3000 words, roughly the same as “Klingonese”, Star Trek’s Klingon language.
- Most words in Dothraki were never used in the series or books.
- Dothraki is quickly gaining popularity among geeks such as myself.
- The Dothraki language joins a respected group of fictional languages such as Star Trek’s Klingon and Lord of The Ring’s Elvish, Dwarvish and Orcish.
- (Finally, the red curve above for Dothraki could easily be substituted with any of those languages. The blue curve? Not necessarily…)